You may know the theory behind what your admissions paper should look and sound like, but there is no replacement for seeing actual essays, especially if they’re quite successful. How to find and use excellent admissions essay examples? Can you be sure that they will improve your academic writing? Keep reading to understand what to avoid and how to benefit from them.
How to Use Brilliant Admissions Essay Examples
Why Use Perfect Examples
There are different reasons why students decide to use a template for an admission essay:
- Getting a better sense of what the committee wants to see.
- Broadening your topic and brainstorming interesting ideas.
- Seeing how your academic writing and life experiences can compare to that of other students.
- Keeping your essay connected to your voice and personality because you realize how many things you can write about.
- Getting more ideas for how to approach a widely used and clichéd topic in a striking and new manner if you really have a brilliant story to tell the committee about something that gets written about a lot.
What Makes a Good Sample Source?
When looking for the best admission essay sample, remember that available sources are only as good as their content. Read the essays that really worked from people who got into the schools they wanted. Focus on newer papers to avoid using any outdated ideas.
Find diversity in the perspective and voice of essay samples because they need to come from students with different backgrounds. The best sources always feature their explanatory materials to provide admissions essay examples with their context:
- biographical information about applicants;
- commentaries on what makes them good;
- explanations of the entire drafting process.
The Most Effective Ways to Use Samples
When do you need to read essay examples? You should wait until you do some brainstorming before immersing yourself into the ideas and works of other students. You will be able to use their opinions about different possibilities for writing about the chosen topic. For instance, checking how others tackled their life experiences can show you:
- How to change your insight to draw from your personal story;
- How to focus on different details in it;
- How to consider different ways to end and start your essay.
What Good Examples Can Teach You
There are many specific and broad learning opportunities that can be found in reading a sample of an admissions essay. Seeing how other applicants approach the same problem of completing this assignment can improve your creative process. Reading their diversity of ideas and voices will show you that even the most boring experience can be turned into a brilliant application paper. If you succeed to find examples from successful applicants to the chosen school, you’ll get a sense of a sophistication level expected from you. Good commentaries can show you how everything is put together and what makes examples work.
Popular Pitfalls to Avoid
Being surrounded by the works and ideas of other people has its share of temptations. What do you need to avoid when looking at any admissions essay example? Avoiding plagiarism is the most obvious and important thing because all students are not allowed to copy samples.
Besides, mimicry and copying are just some softer forms of plagiarism. So, if you like the writing style of students very much, don’t borrow it. That’s because stealing it for your application paper won’t make you sound yourself, and it will be clear to experiences readers. When writing about the life experiences and achievements that are not yours, your unfamiliarity will definitely show through. You should only see how other students approach the challenge of completing this assignment to boost your creativity and get some helpful hints instead of borrowing anything from their works.